There has been alot of interest in Dave King on the blog lately. I still, sadly, don't know exactly what happened to him, but I thought I would put together all of the gossip swirling around the Internet. Keep in mind, these are rumors, chickadees, not facts!
1) Dave was fired for insisting on day shifts after working late night/early morning shift for 13 years.
2) Dave was fired for low sales.
3) Dave was fired to scare all the other employees into submission.
4) Dave was fired, but even he has no idea why.
5) Dave was fired because of his relationship with either another host or a vendor.
6) Dave was fired because QVC is discriminatory. This particular rumor is based on a 1999 discrimination class-action lawsuit filed against QVC by former minority hosts, SAG, and ARTRA. You can read about it here.
7) Dave was fired because QVC is trying to weed out the older hosts and replace them with younger hosts. Why? The young hosts are cheaper and appeal to the younger demographic that the Q is trying so desperately to appeal to (obviously the way to do that is buy selling elastic-waist pants and old-lady sandals!).
8) Dave King is sick.
What we do know:
1) Dave gave no indication on his last shift on QVC that it was, in fact, his last shift on QVC.
2) QVC has not publicly commented on the situation (not even the generic, "he left to pursue other opportunities" line), nor did he get any kind of on-air going away party.
There is another rumor floating about that people tried to ask QVC President/CEO/King Mike George what happened to Dave on the Live Chat the other day, but that the question was never posted or answered.
When it comes to corporate America, anything can be true. I just hope that the truth comes out and I hope that Dave is doing well. I promise to let you know as soon as I know anything!